Saturday, February 10, 2007

Hluhluwe and Sand track ride venue recon report

Last Sunday, I took the boys out to Hluhluwe to visit with friends for lunch - took the bikes with and got in some riding at the Horn and Thorn Pee Wee track - this trail is about 5km in length and is all flat, with absolutely no technical sections.
This ride would be good for youngsters, rank beginners (aka wives) and the like, but not worth the drive out there, even though there was no charge....

There are no ablution facilities on the premises, but one is welcome to use the B+B facilities across the road - about 5 kms away...

Greg joined me on the ride, and my impression is that he thoroughly enjoyed himself - though he sez he's getting into the car drag scene with a certain V6 Sierra, my guess is that he will be available for rides in the future....

I realised that I had forgotten my trailer ramps at the beach during loading the previous day, and drove back there to try and find em - no luck! I will have to get new ones made now, or buy some standard ones which are pretty pricey - silly feller!

Yesterday, Thaven and I took the Raptor and the Trailblazer out to the Sand Track, just off the John Ross Highway, en route from Richards Bay to Empangeni.

We found the spot to be very ride-able, with some good technical sections to practice different techniques. There is also a small tweelie MX track that is good fun, and in theory, one could ride to Empangeni and surrounds from this area so it could be used as a start-finish point for an outride or two.

The only potential downside is the non-availability of safe parking for vehicles and trailers.

Speaking of trailers, on the way to this ride, I sustained a puncture on one of my trailer tyres, and proceeded to destroy the tyre on the way to Thaven's....we had to spend some valuable riding time rectifying the situation since I did not have a spare at the time....!

2 comments:

Golden Age said...

Using the Jody-network,I managed to pick up someone's unwanted spare ramps.

Though they are a bit rusty, they do the job and I am grateful - thanks, Jody, thanks Jacques!

Golden Age said...

Trailer now has a spare wheel